Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summer Solstice Celebrations


What a weekend!! It was three full days of summer solstice celebrations and reveling in abundance and a sizzling sun, only too willing to show of what power really feels like.


We began with a Book Release Party for Rogelia's House of Magic at Four Crows, a Spiritual Center In Tustin. We opened the evening with a simple ceremony and welcoming of the four directions. Last time I did a ritual like this in front of Daryl (owner of Four Crows and Lakota Pipe Carrier), I laughed from nervousness and he got mad at me for being silly when what I needed to do was be a strong and powerful Priestess. Now five years later, I was totally confidant to trust whatever words would flow through me and with my head held high, carried the power of the four directions in and through me. Melinda Rodriguez welcomed Father Sky and Mother Earth in the beautiful Cherokee language. Then I read from Rogelia's House of Magic - a passage where the girls visit Four Crows in the book. That was cool. Melinda then lead a kick ass drum circle. We really raised the power!


On Saturday, Melinda, her hubby Rogelio, and my friend Dana Wardop, and I shared a booth at the Women's Spirit Summer Solstice Fair in Long Beach. I had my books - of course. Melinda brought traveling altars and a sacred journey CD and Dana did a smoking business as the only massage therapist on the grounds. Melinda and I then did our Phoenix Rising ceremony (I read from the poem in The Enchanted Diary - see below in another posting) on the center stage. We invited the audience to annoint themselves with a sunflower petal and waters that were being infused with a female and male crystal. At the end I annointed myself by dumping the entire bowl over my head (kinda Flashdance-esque). It was over 100 degrees and felt SOOO GOOD!!!


On Sunday, I joined the team at Tea & Sympathy BookShoppe at the Irish Fair in Irvine. As Ann Scott says, I bring a young crowd to their booth, what with my Teen Spell Book selling out nearly every time. This time I sold mostly The Wicca Cookbook. I finally met reknown Wiccan author, Timothy Roderick. He pointed out my book to a friend and said, "Jamie is my friend." To which I responded, "Really? We're Friends?" We had only met online, even though his brother was in my wedding. He introduced himself and we hugged. After selling scads of books, I left for the meadow where they had set up an ancient village of Tara. Then off to the dance floor where the Fenians sang some old favorites including Danny Boy - my alltime favorite melody - and one that combines the Mexican and Irish folks - San Patricio.

What a weekend!

No comments: